Ketel Marte moved to restricted list following no-show

The Arizona Diamondbacks have officially shifted second baseman Ketel Marte to the restricted list after he failed to arrive at Fenway Park for Monday evening’s matchup against the Boston Red Sox.

Manager Torey Lovullo stated that Marte was facing a personal matter and characterized communication with the veteran infielder as “minimal at best.” In a corresponding roster move, Arizona promoted infielder Jose Fernandez from Triple-A prior to the Diamondbacks falling 11-1 in Boston.

Ketel Marte lands on restricted list

Lovullo indicated that the Diamondbacks were still working to grasp the full scope of the situation surrounding Marte, noting that the 32-year-old did not appear for the contest. The skipper also mentioned he believed Marte was in Boston after the squad traveled there following its weekend set in Atlanta.

“It has been a chaotic day,” Lovullo said after the defeat. “The only thing I know is (Marte’s) handling a personal issue. We are attempting to sort it out.”

The manager explained that he had reached out to Marte but received minimal feedback. Lovullo added that Marte’s teammates had been wondering about the circumstances, though they felt more at ease once they realized the player was neither injured nor in any danger.

Marte is now returning to Phoenix for an MRI on his knee, as reported by the Republic.

Diamondbacks navigate personal situation

MLB franchises are allowed to place players on the restricted list for unapproved absences, personal circumstances, or issues unrelated to baseball. Individuals on this list do not earn their salary or accumulate MLB service time until they are reinstated to the active roster.

Monday’s decision came nearly one year after Marte issued a public apology for his absence following the 2025 All-Star break. That earlier incident stemmed from a burglary at his in-season residence, while several Arizona teammates later expressed frustration regarding his missed games and requests for time off during a playoff push.

Lovullo acknowledged that the latest development might generate disappointment within the clubhouse but emphasized that the Diamondbacks would manage the situation together.

“Sometimes you feel let down. Sometimes you feel disappointed. But we will find a way to push through this,” the manager said.

Ketel Marte’s performance and contract status

Marte has not performed at his typical All-Star level during the 2026 campaign, yet he has remained productive for an Arizona club vying for a postseason berth. The three-time All-Star is currently in the midst of a six-year, $105 million deal with the Diamondbacks that extends through at least 2030 and features an $11.5 million player option for 2031.

With 34.9 career WAR accumulated while with Arizona, Marte sits third on the franchise’s all-time WAR leaderboard.

The Diamondbacks turned to Fernandez to fill Marte’s role in the lineup. Fernandez was already in Boston as a backup option in case third baseman Nolan Arenado needed to be placed on the injured list, according to MLB.com. He went 1-for-3 in the game.

Diamondbacks stay competitive in wild-card race

Despite the setback in Boston, Arizona remains firmly in the National League postseason conversation. The Diamondbacks entered the game with a 66-60 record and trailed the San Diego Padres by just one game for the NL’s third and final wild-card spot.

Marte’s absence thus arrives at a crucial juncture in Arizona’s season, with the club still pursuing a playoff position while dealing with uncertainty involving one of its most seasoned players.

Scroll to Top